Schluter®-TREP-FL is a decorative stair-nosing profile with a protruding rounded edge that can be integrated into stairs covered with ceramic tile or natural stone. The profile protects the front edge of stairs and adds a high degree of safety by improving the visibility of the stair edges. The profile is available in stainless steel or anodized aluminum.
TREP-FL is suitable for residential applications, e.g., stairs not exposed to heavy traffic. Matching end caps are available.
The Schluter®-TREP-FL stair nosing profile requires no special maintenance or care and is resistant to mold and fungi. Clean profiles periodically using neutral cleaning agents.
Stainless steel surfaces exposed to the environment or aggressive substances should be cleaned periodically using a neutral cleaner. Regular cleaning maintains the neat appearance of stainless steel and reduces the risk of corrosion. Avoid the use of strong acids (e.g. hydrochloric or hydrofluoric) and base/alkaline cleaners (e.g. bleach, ammonia, chlorides).
Do not use abrasive cleaning agents and tools. Stainless steel surfaces develop a sheen when treated with a chrome-polishing agent. In the case of anodized aluminum, do not use abrasive or strong alkaline cleaning agents.
1. Select profile according to the tile thickness and format.
2. Install riser tile flush with the stair tread surface.
3. Using a notched trowel, apply thin-set mortar along edge area above riser.
4. Fill cavities on the underside of the profile with thin-set mortar.
5. Press the trapezoid-perforated anchoring leg of the profile into the thin-set mortar, such that the front edge of the profile overlaps the riser tile. Full coverage must be obtained at the edge area to ensure support of the profile.
6. Trowel additional thin-set mortar over the perforated anchoring leg and the stair tread surface to ensure full coverage and support of the tile edges.
7. Solidly embed the tiles so that the tiled surface is flush with the top of the profile.
8. A joint of approx. 1/16" - 1/8" (1.5 - 3 mm) should be left between the tile and the profile.
9. Fill the joint completely with grout or setting material.
How to install tile edge trim on stairs: Schluter®-TREP-FL profile
Introduction to Schluter® Profiles
How to choose the appropriate profile size in relation to your tile
Find some existing tutorials and project documentation videos to learn how-to get the best out of our products - for more fun in your life, start now!Watch more videos / playlists